Athletic cycling on the Danube
5 days / 4 nights with return transfer from EUR 369
On this tour there is "No mercy for your calves" – this saying rhymes in German: “Keine Gnade für die Wade”. On this trip you can indulge your passion for cycling and unwind on 100 kilometres of perfect paths every day. Clear your mind and enjoy the varied landscape and rustic cuisine in cosy country inns, before spending the night in a comfortable hotel. At the end of this "Athletic Cycling on the Danube" Tour, the vibrant Danube metropolis Vienna awaits and invites you to take a ride on the Ferris wheel in the famous Prater amusement park.
Day 1 Arrival in Schärding
Try the excellent beer in the pretty baroque town of Schärding or while the hours away on the Inn promenade.
Day 2 Schärding - Passau - Linz, approx. 110 km/68 mi
First you’ll speedily cycle along the Inn, then the Danube Valley becomes tight, high and steep, the Schlögener Meander is especially impressive.
Day 3 Linz - Melk, approx. 110 km/68 mi
Try the real Linzer Torte, a regional cake speciality, before setting off through the vast Machland region to the wild and romantic Strudengau landscape.
Day 4 Melk - Wien, approx. 115 km/72 mi
Vineyards and castle ruins line your path through the Wachau region. The path will lead you through the Tulln Basin and along the Vienna Woods to its destination.
Day 5 Departure or extension
Your tour ends after breakfast. But why not extend your tour "Athletic cycling on the Danube" in Vienna?
Included in "Athletic cycling on the Danube":
- 4 overnight stays incl. breakfast
- luggage transport from hotel to hotel to Vienna, 1 piece p.p., 20 kg/ item (44 lbs/ item)
- return transfer by train, excl. bike,
return transfer by bus, incl. bike,
please reserve with your original booking
- ride on the Giant Ferris Wheel in Vienna
- travel documents and maps in english
- visitor's tax to be paid on site
- 7-day customer helpline
- optional rental bike
- Category L:
Hotels at the international 4* level as per Hotelstars Union.
Bikes for hire:
- Comfortable unisex bikes available in different frame sizes with 24 gears/freewheel. Equipped with panniers, lock and repair kit. E-bikes available upon request.
Travel time 2022:
- Arrivals daily from 02.04. to 08.10.
- the day of arrival determines the price of your tour
All prices apply per person in a double room, incl. breakfast.
- 369 EUR saver price
02.04.-15.04. + 01.10.-08.10.
- 419 EUR basic price
16.04.-29.04. + 17.09.-30.09.
- 459 EUR seasonal price
30.04. - 16.09.
- 140 EUR single room surcharge
- 70 EUR rental bike
- 170 EUR e-bike
- -28 EUR discount, no return transfer
- 70 EUR additional night in Schärding, DBL, incl. breakfast
- 105 EUR additional night in Schärding, SGL, incl. breakfast
- 70 EUR additional night in Vienna, DBL, incl. breakfast
- 115 EUR additional night in Vienna, SGL, incl. breakfast
- booking code "Athletic cycling on the Danube":
- how you can save some money
Arrival to "Athletic cycling on the Danube":
- Parking in Schärding:
Free parking right on the bike path.
- Arrival by train:
The hotels are approximately 1 kilometres from the train station.
Arrival at Munich airport:
Distance to Schärding approx. 180 km, nearly good train connections, journey takes approx. 3 hours.
Train ticket price per person: approx. EUR 50
Arrival at Vienna airport:
Distance to Schäring approx. 290 km, good train connections, journey takes approx. 3.5 hours.
Train ticket price per person: approx. 50 EUR
Return by minibus (included):
Collection at hotel, departure approx. 2 pm, duration approx. 4 hours, must be booked together with holiday.
The transfer from Vienna to Schärding can also be undertaken at the beginning of the trip.
- Return transfer by train (included):
Good connections via Vienna main train station (Wien Hauptbahnhof), change trains 1x, duration approx. 2,5 - 3 hours. You must reserve own bikes several days in advance (not included). The transfer from Vienna to Schärding can also be undertaken at the beginning of the trip.
Perfectly looked after:
During your tour, we are available between 8 am and 8 pm, 7 days a week. We are happy to help with any kind of problems you might be having. You will find this emergency number in your travel documents.