Tour to the Iron Gate
Round trip with 6 countries aboard MS Swiss Crown
This tour on the MS Swiss Crown will lead you through 6 countries to the Iron Gate. Furthermore, you’ll see several capitals, national parks, famous buildings, widely different languages, songs, dishes and wines - you certainly won’t be bored! Enjoy this cruise on the Danube and bike tour along several hundred kilometres of good and excellent bike lanes on its shores.
This tour from Passau to the Iron Gate with the MS Swiss Crown is suitable for novice cyclists and experts alike.
Day 1 Arrival in Passau
With a historic centre full of Mediterranean vibes, this town is picturesquely situated between the rivers Danube, Inn and Ilz. Embarkation: 4 pm, departure at approx. 6 pm, cruising through the Danube valley.
Day 2 Engelhartszell - Aschach, 42 km/26 mi
Highlights of this stage include Monastery Engelszell and the Schlögener Schlinge, as well as the little town of Aschach.
Day 3 Devin - Bratislava, 15 - 43 km/9 - 27 mi
Today’s ride will take you along the former “iron curtain”. The highlights include Devin Fort, Hof Castle and obviously the city of Bratislava.
Day 4 Budapest or Szentendre, 27 - 54 km/17 - 34 mi
Today, you can cycle to the lively artist’s town of Szentendre. Or, why not explore the hungarian capital. Alternatively, you can book a trip of one of our several optional packets.
Day 5 Baja - Mohacs, 37 km/23 mi
Today’s cycling stage extends between Baja and Mohacs in Hungary’s south, which even today is shaped by its cultural diversity.
Day 6 Discovering Belgrad
Explore Serbia’s capital under your own steam or book one of the guided tours offered aboard your ship. The fortress und architecture from several centuries shape the cityscape.
Day 7 Catarakt Route / National Park Iron Gate
You’ll be spending today aboard the ship, where you’ll get to marvel at the Danube Gorge of the Iron Gate along the border between Serbia and Romania.
Day 8 Novi Sad - Ilok, 48 km/30 mi
From Novi Sad, Vojvodina’s capital, you’ll be heading to Ilok, one of the centres of Slavonian viticulture.
Day 9 Batina - Mohács, 42 km/26 mi
You’ll be cycling through the Nemzeti national park in Croatia and Hungary. In Mohács, urban bustle and premium wines await.
Day 10 Kalocsa - Solt, 50 km/32 mi
Today, you’ll ride through the Puszta from Kalocsa - the centre of capsicum growing - to Solt, which is home to the beautiful castle of Vecsey.
Day 11 Danube's knee - Esztergom, 43 km
Today you can choose between different routes. They will take you through famous landmarks such as the Danube’s knee or the King’s palace and basilica. Followed by an overnight boat trip to Vienna.
Day 12 Boat trip and smaller bike tours
Enjoy your ride through the Danube meadows, after which you can discover the greater Vienna area on your bike - the Danube island, Klosterneuburg or the Heurigens on the foothills of the Wienerwald.
Day 13 Discovering Vienna
There are several optional packets available to book, or why not go ahead and explore the city under your own steam. Around midnight, the ship will take you to the Wachau region.
Day 14 Krems - Melk, 39 km/22 mi
The Wachau region charmingly presents itself with several small vineyards and apricot trees. You will be able to buy wine, schnapps and apricot jam directly from the producers.
Day 15 Disembarkation and departure from Passau
Enjoy cruising into the baroque episcopal town, disembarkation starts at approx 11:00 am. End of the journey "Tour to the Iron Gate" aboard MS Swiss Crown.
Prices & Dates
Here are the details on MS Swiss Crown.
Included in "Tour to the Iron Gate":
- 14 nights aboard in your chosen category
- 14 x breakfast
- 13 x packed lunches or small lunch aboard
- 14 x dinner, three-course mealsfull board
- afternoon coffee and cake served daily
- daily midnight snack
- cabins are cleaned daily
- bed linen and towels supplied
- captain’s reception
- welcome cocktail
- gala dinner
- farewell cocktail
- english speaking on-board tour operators
- bike tours are introduced and discussed daily
- detailed travel documents in english
- passenger-, harbour- and lock dutie
- optional rental bike
- optional Guided Tour
- optional event tickets and guided tours, bookable aboard
- optional transfer
- outside cabins, approx. 14 square metres (151 sq ft), with ensuite WC and shower
- movable ground-level beds
- individually adjustable air-conditioning
- windows on middle deck can be opened
- cabins on upper deck with balcony
We offer comfortable unisex-bikes with 24-speed freewheel systems, equipped with a bike bag and a bike lock. We also offer e-bikes if desired.
Guided Cycling Package:
- This package can be booked in addition for anyone who likes guided tours:
all ferry trips
Budapest city tour by bus
Belgrad city tour by bus
Vienna city bike tour
Bicycle helmet (for adults)
- Minimum number of participants: 10, maximum number of participants: 18, up to 4 weeks prior to its commencement.
Travel time 2023:
- Arrival on saturdays
*300 € discount per person!
- Minimum number of participants: 90. This tour can be cancelled by the provider up to 4 weeks prior to its commencement. If this is the case, we will strive to supply our customers with an equivalent offer.
All prices are per person.
- 2349 EUR 2-bed standard
- 2749 EUR 2-bed comfort
- 2849 EUR 2-bed-mini-suite
- 3099 EUR 2-bed superior
- + 55 % 2-bed standard cabin single ocupancy
- 100 % child 0-2,9 years
- - 30 % child 3-11,9 years in a cabin with 2 adults
- - 10 % child 3-11,9 years in a cabin with 1 adult
- 459 EUR Guided Cycling Package
- 140 EUR rental bike
- 290 EUR e-bike
- 60 EUR private bike
- 80 EUR private e-bike
- 240 EUR transfer Munich Main St.-Passau
- 260 EUR transfer Munich Airport-Passau
- booking code "Tour to the Iron Gate":
- how you can save some money
- cancellation fee
Arrival to "Tour to the Iron Gate":
- Parking in Passau:
- 114 EUR , fenced-in outdoor area, includes transfers
- 129 EUR , roofed car park, includes transfers
Information on how to register for parking is included in your travel documents
Arrival in Passau via train:
From the railway station to the Schiffslände Passau-Lindau it is about 4 kilometres. We recommend you take a taxi.
Price per taxi approx. 15 €
Alternatively by bus no. 3, departure at the bus station (ZOB).
Price per person approx. 2,50 €
Arrival in Munich via train:
Transfer Munich Main St.-Passau one way (1-8 persons): 240 EUR
Arrival at Munich airport:
Distance to Passau approx. 160 km, excellent train connections, journey takes approx. 2.5 hours.
Train ticket price per person: approx. 35 EUR
Rental car, one way per vehicle: 200-250 EUR
Transfer Munich-Passau one way (1-8 persons): 260 EUR
You can always take your own bike with you. Please note, however, that your bike will be loaded twice a day with many others on and off the ship and damage can not be ruled out. A liability for this can not be assumed. We advise you to book one of the good rental bikes.
Perfectly looked after:
During your tour, we are available between 8 am and 8 pm, 7 days a week. We are happy to help with any kind of problems you might be having. You will find this emergency number in your travel documents.
- As is the case with all boat trips, changes in travel itineraries due to the weather, the rivers’ water levels or technical issues can be undertaken at any time.